Alemira LMS: November 2022
The following features were added:
- LTI 1.3 Assignment and Grade Services
- Report builder
- New links for different user roles
- UI language toggle
- PDF viewer for attachments
LTI 1.3 Assignment and Grade Services
We have upgraded LTI support to version 1.3. It includes support for Assignment and Grade Services.
Now Alemira LMS better integrates with LTI 1.3 content providers, which assumes:
- Ability to show the maximum possible learners’ score in an activity
- Ability to show detailed learners’ progress
- Supporting manual grading for activities that require it
We have reworked the Reports section and made it available for instructors and administrators. It includes the Primary report tab with the information on:
- Total number of learners enrolled for objectives
- Number of not started objectives
- Number of objectives in progress
- Number of completed objectives.
Numbers are clickable so instructors and administrators can get more detail on what statuses and results learners have in each objective.
All the reports are configurable: filtering, grouping, and column selection are available. When a user modifies a report, all modifications are saved for this user.
New links for different user roles
We have rebuilt links to different sections of our platform. When using custom domains, all sections are available as direct links following a domain name, so users can directly access required UI in case they have several roles, for example:
- /learn — for a catalog of objectives available to learners
- /teach — UI for instructors and authors
- /vadmin — UI for administrators
The user role selector is also available from the user profile, so they can manually switch roles and access the necessary sections of the platform.
UI language toggle
The interface language selector was added. Now users can switch the UI language to the one they prefer.
PDF viewer for attachments
If an author has attached a PDF file to an objective, learners can view it directly in the browser. They don’t need to download it and open with a local PDF reader.
The PDF viewer supports page browsing and zooming either with the mouse scroll wheel (CTRL + the mouse wheel forward or backward) or with the keyboard shortcut (CTRL + +/-).
A new Alemira Assessment component was added to the platform. It allows authors to rapidly create and conduct formative and summative assessments. Authors can find this module in the content library and start working on their first quiz.
Also, Alemira Assessment supports LTI 1.1 and 1.3 and can be integrated with third-party learning management systems.
- Question creation and management
- Question templates
- Math formulas support
- Quiz creation and management
- Quiz passing
- Automatic grading
- Manual grading
Question creation and management
Authors can create different types of questions, store them in the question bank and reuse them, saving time when creating new assignments.
Authors can create questions of these types:
- Multiple answer that consists of these three parts: a question itself, set of correct answers, and set of distractors
- Short answer that consists of these two parts: a question itself and set of strings representing variants of a correct answer
- Free format response that consists of these two parts: a question itself and a field for learners to submit their response
Math formulas support
Users can add math formulas to questions and answers using LaTeX.
Quiz creation and management
Authors can create different types of questions, store them in the question bank, and reuse them over time.
An author can publish a quiz and assign it to learners. Learners can pass the quiz and submit their answers for grading.
Multiple answer and short answer questions are graded automatically.
Free format responses (long text) require manual grading. An assigned teaching assistant (TA) needs to assess a learner’s answers, grade them, and write their feedback or attach it in a file.